- performing or functioning in the best possible manner with the least waste of time and effort; having and using requisite knowledge, skill, and industry; competent; capable
In the opposite corner, wearing the lovely pink paisley trunks, we have Expedient.
- fit or suitable for the purpose; proper under the circumstances
- Hypothetically your desk is piled with stuff from all over the house. You have dishes, a couple of magazines, a pair of socks (?) a dog training collar, TV remote, and AA battery. The rest of your office (I mean "Studio") has books, kitchen towels, a pair of gloves, a pair of slacks, and copious toys brought in by a seven year old.
- Say hypothetically "I " were the "you" described above. If I were efficient, I would gather and group together all the kitchen items, all the bedroom items, all the toys, and the rest of the miscellany. I would then make one trip around the house, returning these things to their proper place as I go. Maybe even humming a little tune..."la la la, look at me, calmly putting things away as if I have nothing else to do today la la la."
Expedient is the method I generally employ. Expedient gets it done...eventually. Let's go back to the studio.
- first I say to myself..."how on earth did this room become such a trash heap?" Then I start in one corner of the room. Low hanging fruit first. Garbage goes into the (wait for it) garbage can. I gather up all the dishes, take them to the kitchen, and put them in the dishwasher. (rule #1. Don't make a mess somewhere else) "Oh look, there's my calendar. Why, that belongs in the studio...."
- I put the calendar away, then grab some more low hanging fruit. The socks and the slacks. I take those upstairs. "oh look, there's the receipts David emptied from his pockets. Why those belong in the office...(I mean "Studio")"
- I see the seven year old on the way back downstairs. I tell her she needs to pick up her toys in my "studio." "The what?" she replies. I clarify, "My office." "All of the toys?!," she asks. "Only the ones you want to keep." I tell her.
- Fix dinner
- Go to physical therapy for my arthritic neck
- put out any number of fires
And the winner, by TKO, is Expedient !!!