Monday, January 30, 2012

Avalanche !!

Well, it finally happened.  All my papers I had organized into a neat little pile (read HUGE and GINORMOUS) avalanched, burying my office floor.  Gosh, I hope nobody's trapped under there!  It could be days before a rescue crew can reach them.

Six months ago, I bought a four drawer filing cabinet.  It should work beautifully for storing these papers.  You'd think anyway.  Turns out, you have to open the drawers and put the papers into little folders that you've labled.  Seems like more of a long term goal to me. 

In the meantime, I can't keep stepping over this sea of papers.  I'm going to pull a hamstring.

I searched "Conquer Paper Clutter".  Got 592,000 results on Bing.  Seems I'm not the only one having this problem. 

One solution I really liked is called "Neat Desk".  It's a scanner you feed your papers through, and not only does it store an image of the paper on your computer, it READS it and converts the information into a table you can then export into various programs like "Turbo Tax" and "Quicken" or "Excel".  You can even run childrens artwork through it, and create digital art galleries.  COOL.  I want it.  Want, want, want, want it.  One problem.  $379.00 at Amazon.  Maybe later.

Most of the other sites offer mostly the same advice.  Advice which I'm going to share.

Apparently I'm going to have to sit down with this pile of papers and deal with them. 

  1. I'm going to need to figure out what types of papers we receive. 
  2. I'm going to need to figure out what kinds of papers I want to keep.
  3. I'm going to need to schedule a time at least once a week to deal with the papers that have come in.
All right, who's with me? 

By end of busines tomorrow...every loose piece of paper in my house will have been touched by human hands (mine) and all those I don't need to keep will be disposed of.

No comments:

Post a Comment