Monday, January 16, 2012

I Like Nike

No, not the shoes...though I don't dislike them.  It's just that one athletic shoe looks and feels much like another to me.  So obviously I'm not very athletic!  But I do like their slogan.  "Just do it!"  Hope I'm not copyright infringing here. 

Keep in mind Nike and I aren't talking about the "just do it" we bark at our kids when they are whining about having to brush their teeth or clean their rooms.  No, Nike and I are talking about that gentle encouraging nudge we often need to get started.  Maybe I should change the mantra to "just get started."

I have found, if I "just get started," I'll often times actually enjoy what I'm doing.  Like doing a blog, for instance.  I know I love writing.  I've known this since I was a tween and writing my "little stories."  A blog seems like a natural extension of that.  But then something happens.  I start looking at this huge, seemingly insurmountable commitment of writing hopefully helpful tips in an entertaining fashion day after day, and get rather daunted.  Yet, once I sit down to actually write, I find time flies by, and I have a great time.  What to do, what to do?  Well, I started by reading other blogs.  This inspires me, and with that inspiration, I find I can "just get started" writing.

Exercise, same thing.  I love the idea of exercising.  I feel great when I exercise, and afterwards too.  (so long as I can ignore the sore muscles, because I don't exercise nearly enough) But the hassle...All the obstacles.  I don't like to exercise in front of people, so that means at home.  I have to move furniture in order to exercise at home...what if I get sweaty, then I have to have time to take a shower.  (nevermind that I'm probably going to take a shower anyway).  Then I read this tip.  "Just lay down on the floor."  The theory is, once you are laying down...yes, laying down, odds are you will do something.  Maybe stretch, maybe some crunches, maybe some bridges. Once you get started, you'll probably finish.  Maybe not finish an hour, maybe not half an hour, but even if you exercise for 10-15 minutes, it's still exercise and it's still better than exercising for zero minutes!!

Momentum is a powerful force.    You pick up speed as you go along.  One step leads to another.  For instance, when my house is thrashed and I'm totally overwhelmed by the sheer volume of clutter facing me, my initial tendency is to sit down and wallow in my overwhelmedness by surfing the web.   Second, more intentional idea, is to put 10 things away, or set the timer for 15 minutes and tidy during that time.  You'd be amazed what you can put away in 15 minutes, even with little ones clamoring for your attention.  Often, though, momentum takes over, and I get in a "puttin' things away" groove and when the timer buzzes, I turn it off, and keep cleaning.  (Did I forget to mention, I also turn the music up, and entertain my 6 year old while I dance and tidy)  Ooh, two chores, one stone...exercise and tidy.  Who doesn't love that? !!

So, next time you are faced with a task and you find yourself getting that whole, deep breath in, audible sigh kind of "I don't want to do this" feeling, think of me and Nike and "Just Get Started."  Or in the immortal words of Mary Poppins, "Well begun is half done !"

No comments:

Post a Comment