Monday, February 6, 2012

My latest invention

For the past few years, I have been treating myself to a pair of boots at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale.  I am now the proud owner of a gray pair, a brown pair, and a black pair.  Never in my whole life have I owned three pairs of boots.  Seems, well frankly, frivolous.  Oh well, something I'll have to live with. 

Now, my older boots have started to topple over in the closet.  Apparently, you need some sort of thing to stuff in them to make them hold their shape. 



So I bought this thingy from the Container Store.  It's a spring loaded boot shaper.  And it cost $9.99 for a pair.  I only bought one set.  No way was I going to drop $30 without testing it out first.  Turns out, I hate it.  In order to make it work, you have to squeeze it together real hard, at the bottom, and jam your hand and squozen boot shaper all the way to the bottom.  Turns out, that's kind of a pain.  Turns out,  I stopped wearing the boots they were shaping, cause it's a pain to get the thing in and out.  (out = same process)

I come from a long line of inventors, starting with my grandma.  My grandma, who was losing her hair as she aged, collected all the hairs from her brush over time and made a little hairball looking thing out of them, which she plopped on the top of her head, before combing her remaining hair over it, into a somewhat fashionable grandma up-do.  I actually didn't know she did this, until one day when she was sick, I saw the thing laying on the counter in the bathroom.  Freaked me out !!  Genius, mind you, since I didn't know she wore it...but still, disconcerting when seen on the bathroom counter.

So back to my boots.  A couple of years ago, I started saving plastic bags of all sorts, cause I can now throw them (appropriately bundled) into our recycling bin.  YES !!  Still, seems less than ideal to me.  Surely, my inventor genes could come up with something for all these bags. 


Boot stuffers !!  I took a bread wrapper bag, filled it with other bags, into a rough cylinder.  Twisty tie at the top and bottom (to help keep the appropriate shape) and Voila !  Boot is standing upright.  Yes that's right...I said boot.  (I still need to make some more)




 Maybe next year I'll think about prettying them up a bit.  Hmm, I see a colored duct tape project coming !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment