Saturday, February 18, 2012

Want to know something weird?

Having my groceries delivered saves me money.  I know, a luxury premium service, that SAVES money?!!  It's true.  Cause I did the math, and anyone who knows me, knows how I feel about doing the math.  I do virtually nothing, without doing the math first.  (I am after all, a recovering accountant) 

In my part of the world, Safeway delivers and Amazon Fresh delivers.  I'm sure there are more.  But I've no time to do an internet search, cause I'm doing all this math, you see.

"Mom, I need two sticks that are at least as tall as the couch."  That would be Samantha The 6 Year Old's first request during this blogging session.  Stay tuned, as I'm sure there will be many more.

Where was I?  The nice thing about blogging, is you only have to read back what you've just written to find out where you were.  Unlike in real life, where us mom's really have very little hope of remembering what we were talking or thinking about when interrupted by our children.

"Mom, I'm hungry."

Oh yes, I was in recovery.  So here's the thing.  When you grocery shop on line, it's kind of tedious, and somewhat irritating, cause the websites for the major retailers that offer delivery are, how shall I put it...less than user friendly.

So what I end up doing, to make it go more smoothly, is I start out with a list of things I need.  Crazy idea huh?  But it really works. 

Then, list in hand, I use the search button on the website to find the things I need.  Boom.  Only that thing ends up in my shopping cart.  My "virtual shopping cart" I should say.  The wheels don't actually stick on these kinds of shopping cart.  Just a little bonus I thought I'd point out. 

No wandering down the aisles, cause I have no patience to wander down aisles on poorly designed websites, no impulse buys....well, a lot fewer impulse buys.  ( I am nothing if not honest ) 

The proof?  I carefully categorize all our spending in Quicken, then I run reports at the end of the month.  Quicken will even compare current spending to prior spending.  And there it is...in black and white, in a tidy little column.  My grocery expenditures went down by 17% once I started ordering my groceries for delivery.  And that's with the delivery fee, and possibly inflated on line delivery grocery store prices. 

I know what you're thinking...you're thinking, "That's just wierd, categorizing all your expenses in Quicken and running reports - you stay at home mom you.  I'm not going to do that, because I have a life, or because I want to think I have a life." 

But you don't have to, cause I already did it.  And you can believe me.  (remember, I'm nothing, if not honest)

Don't even get me started about the joy of having my groceries delivered.  Whoops, too late. 
  • Money Saving, cause I have fewer impulse buys.
  • Grocery shopping in my jammies.
  • Grocery shopping without children. (well they are still home, but if you wait until they go to bed, they don't bug you to buy Cocoa Puffs)
  • I open the door in the morning, and whoomp, there are my groceries. 
Now if only they had an unpacking service, like movers.  I'd surely give up my 17% savings to have my groceries put away.  No, wait a minute, let's think this through.  They'd probably put stuff away WRONG, then I'd spend  15 minutes looking for my long grain organic brown rice.  (which should of course, be in the freezer !)

No comments:

Post a Comment